An Eric Roberts Paycheck is a paycheck for an acting job that is to the exact value of what the "actor" deserves. It stands in contrast to a Ben Kingsley Paycheck in that at least the recipients of that dubious honor actually have careers to speak fondly of. Generally, though not always, such roles are characterized by a overwhelmingly obvious lack of effort and often involve copious amounts of booze and/or narcotics. This is named for Eric Roberts' voice-acting performance as Duffy the Cat in A Talking Cat!?!
This trope has now been updated to include any acting performance that is stupendously lazy--regardless of career.
Other examples in the TiradesverseEdit
- Eric Roberts again in DOA
- Devon Aoki in DOA
- Dane Cook in Torque
- Macy Gray in The Crow: Wicked Prayer
- Michael Madsen in Bloodrayne
- Maria Pitillo in Godzilla (1998)
- Clint Howard in Santa with Muscles
- Adrian Paul in Highlander: The Source
- John Leguizamo in The Happening
- Coolio in Batman and Robin
- Jennifer Garner in Elektra
- Sandra Bernhard in The Apocalypse
- Jaden Smith in After Earth